logo1 gerard boersma
Wissesdwinger 1, studio no. 8
contact info@gerardboersma.nl

15.12.11

Still Life of Art Books- Caravaggio

Caravaggio Books
Still life of art books

G. Boersma
acrylics on masonite
30" x 29.3" or 76 x 74,5 cm
2011

After painting my series for Explore the North festival my original plan was to return to my daily paintings, but I couldn't help myself. I really wanted to paint this still life of art books first.

On the painting you see a detail of Caravaggio's masterpiece Judith beheading Holofernes. The painting tells the story of how Judith saved her people by first seducing Holofernes and then decapitating him with his own sword.

Although the story is pretty gruesome, I feel the portrait of Judith is one the best in art history. The expression on Judith's face is just amazing. Of course this large still life was a great excuse to make my own copy. Other art books include books about Vincent Van Gogh and Salvador Dali.

Caravaggio Books and 26 other large paintings can be seen at my solo show at ROI, Heerengracht 23 in The Hague. The show opens this tuesday december 20 at 16.30h. and runs to the end of january. I hope to greet you there as my guest!

kind regards, Gerard

webshop
info@gerardboersma.nl
www.gerardboersma.blogspot.com

available paintings about