logo1 gerard boersma
Wissesdwinger 1, studio no. 8
contact info@gerardboersma.nl

10.4.09

Entombment - museum tour in Getty Center in front of Rubens

Yesterday I completed this larger sized painting of a tour right in front of a couple of paintings by Peter Paul Rubens in the Getty Center in Los Angeles. I wanted it to show you show the painting then, but I couldn't get a good picture, I'm still not completely satisfied with it, but it will do.

In any case the painting is just perfect for Eastern, because the tourguide is talking about Rubens painting Entombment from about 1612. The painting depicts the moment after the Crucifixion and before the Resurrection when Christ is placed into the tomb. The Entombment was meant to make the viewer's religious experience personal and encourage the faithful to imagine the physical horror of Christ's Crucifixion. The painting left shows a small part of Rubens The Calydonian Boar Hunt from about the same year as Entombment.

While painting I suddenly realized that I was competing against one of the great masters of the past. I just had to get the paintings right or else my whole painting would fail. This made me a little nervous I can tell you, but the part which eventually gave me the most trouble was the green background. Go figure, not having any troubles with the Rubens, but with the plain backgrond! In any case I'm really satisfied with the results and feel it's one of the best paintings from my museum series yet. Happy Eastern!

kind regards, Gerard



Entombment
G. Boersma
acrylics on masonite
35.6" x 27.6" or 90,3 x 70 cm
2009

SOLD

Larger sized image
www.gerardboersma.blogspot.com

available paintings about