logo1 gerard boersma
Wissesdwinger 1, studio no. 8
contact info@gerardboersma.nl

8.2.11

Non Fiction

Non Fiction
man reading in bookstore

G. Boersma
acrylics on masonite
6" x 6" or 15 x 15 cm
2011
SOLD

For decades TV used to be the most important medium in society, but right now that role is taken over more and more each day by the Internet. If a new medium takes the lead, the other media has to follow.

We see this for example with TV, nowadays it looks like the Internet with the use of texts and popup ads for shows. Some shows even became interactive, a viewer can vote for a certain candidate. It clearly shows the influence of the Internet.

Although I haven't completely figured it out yet, I feel the Internet has changed our reading habits as well. People usually don't stay on a website very long and reading on a screen really isn't that comfortable.

So a good website makes use of short texts and a modern newspaper reflects this use of short texts. In the Netherlands a lot of newspapers resized the paper to a smaller format altogether. That's the influence of the internet too.

I hope this doesn't affect our ability to read long texts too much. I think that's one of the reasons I keep painting readers and bookstores. You know, like, don't forget to pick up a book once in a while.

There are probably more things to point out here, but like I said I haven't figured it out yet. If you think of any please let me know, I'm quite interested in hearing your thoughts on this.

kind regards, Gerard

webshop
info@gerardboersma.nl
www.gerardboersma.blogspot.com

available paintings about