logo1 gerard boersma
Wissesdwinger 1, studio no. 8
contact info@gerardboersma.nl

2.2.09

Back from Los Angeles




I'm back from Los Angeles! My paintings were represented there by Amstel Gallery during the prestiguous LA Art Show.

The LA Art Show was held from january 21 through january 25 for the 14th time. Never before a gallery from the Netherlands was invited to participate. The LA Art Show is an art fair where the absolute top from the artworld gathers. Over 135 galleries from around the world presented work by old masters like Rembrandt, Monet, Picasso, Renoir and Goya, but modern artists like Roy Lichtenstein, Damien Hirst, David Hockney, Jasper Johns and many others were well represented as well.

The fair officially opened with gala which was attended by many Hollywood-stars. Actors from tv-series like E.R. and Oz where there, but moviestars like Geena Davis and Kevin Bacon visited the fair as well. Other moviestars send their representatives to make a selection for them. Curators from major museums also made their appearances. Exact visitor numbers aren't available yet, but the first estimations ran well over 30.000.

In L.A. I had about 26 feet at my disposal to hang 20 of my artworks at the booth of Amstel Gallery. Visitors ranked our booth as one of the best of the fair. Visitors were impressed by my modern subject manner and my highly detailed and realistic form of painting. Besides my own paintings Amstel Gallery also showed photographs by Patricia Steur and works by Belgium artist Ronald Cueppens.

The many impressions I made in Los Angeles will reflect in a new series of paintings. I returned back home not only with a major jetlag and a dislike of cold weather, but also with a lot of pictures for reverance for future paintings. This march Amstel Gallery will show these works alongside older ones. In march my work can also be seen in the United States again. Amstel Gallery will represent me from march 5 - 8 at the Bridge Art Fair in New York during the Armory Art Week. This fair will be held at a stone's throw away from the Armory Show at the same time. For now I'm trying to shake of my jetlag and adjust myself to the extreme cold temperatures here! I will be picking up my brush soon!

kind regards, Gerard Boersma



Petra Leene of Amstel Gallery and myself in front of the booth at the LA Art Show



Part of the booth at the LA Art Show with a couple of my paintings
available paintings about